Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Uihlein Ironman Sports Fund Athlete Grant

One way to go from here...

...to here...
....is through locally supported ski programs.

I thankfully have been through a couple of those types of programs through the years and I'd like to take note of the philanthropic arms of region that have supported both those programs and their athletes along the way.

The Uihlein Ironman Sports Fund Athlete Grant Reception is held today for its 2010 recipients at Heaven Hill Farm in Lake Placid. I am unable to attend while training here in Utah, but would like to extend my thanks to Uihlein Ironman Sports Fund Grant committee and the Adirondack Community Trust for their continued support.


The Grant's mission:
  • Provide financial support for competitive, local, young athletes with regional, national and international promise in traditional winter and summer sports. 
  • Provide general program support to local nonprofit organizations that expose area youth to traditional summer and winter sports.
This type of support is representative of the belief in the value of local athletes and the benefit of sport, both for the individual or non-profit group, as well as the community and Olympic region as a whole


My athletic career has evolved right along with this Grant, and I appreciate that it has grown with me and helped me meet my financial needs as a full-time biathlete. Its benefits are mutual however. Over the years it has also placed the responsibility in my hands for giving back to the community that has helped me along the way. Thus it has been both the  motivator and enabler of such projects. This is my 6th year receiving this local athlete grant and I am psyched to put in another year of visiting classrooms, skiing with youth programs and promoting the benefits of skiing in the Lake Placid region.


Thanks UISF and ACT!

No comments: