This afternoon I had the opportunity to listen in on the webinar “Unlocking Greatness in Girls: Developing Leadership through Sport” that was presented by Julie Foudy, US Women’s National Soccer Team captain, two-time Olympic Gold Medalist and two-time World Champion. Among many of her current jobs, she runs the Julie Foudy Sports Leadership Academy, and it is from this position that she gave her presentation.
Right now I am feeling the classic signs of post-season trans-Atlantic jetlag and still reveling in the fact that I raced in Holmenkollen only days ago, so will only jot down a few points that I thought were important and good to share with this community.
- Leadership is a choice. Choose to Matter. -JF
- Leadership is personal not positional. –JF
Mia Hamm Foundation www.miafoundation.org
- Find your own leadership style. -JF
Offer tangible examples about how to lead in life, “on the field” or “on the trail” even if you don’t think you have such leadership qualities. Here’s one example that Julia Foudy uses at her Academy: Emmanuel’s Gift www.emmmanuelsgift.com
Julie Foudy Sports Leadership Academy www.juliefoudyleadership.com
- “Pressure is a privilege.” -Billy Jean King
- “Success is a peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do the best of which you are capable.” John Wooden www.coachwooden.com
Dove self-esteem project – Dove Evolution http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U
Fact: Words are only 7% of your communication the rest is made up of your tone of voice and body language. -JF
- Celebrate who started the goal. Recognize all of the different plays that it took to get the ball to the net. This includes everyone involved and isn’t just about who scored the goal. -JF
“Wholesome Discontent” = after success or set back it is the attitude to positively push your self and your team to be even better. This was the standard set by the Olympic Gold medal winning women’s soccer team and was a fundamental formula for their years of success.
I think I will be emailed a transcript of the presentation and will post if possible. Enjoy and best of luck to the end of the season!